Jan 20, 2023

World Taekwondo: A Mother’s Journey of Resilience and Healing

World Taekwondo as a Path to Healing: A Mother's Journey of Resilience

Gratitude to World Taekwondo

I would like to extend my deep appreciation and gratitude to you both for the positive impacts that joining World Taekwondo has had on myself and my family.

Empowering My Daughters

My eldest daughter was the first to join at the age of 6 as a way to help her develop her voice and become more assertive. My husband and I were quickly impressed with our instructor's skill and professionalism. We see her as a positive, strong female role model for both of our daughters.

Our 9-year-old daughter, a small and feisty child, joined just before she turned 5. A year ago, she was diagnosed with autism and had always struggled with large crowds and loud sounds during grading tests. However, this didn’t stop her from progressing, as there are options like catch-up grading tests. I am so impressed with the inclusive approach to Taekwondo that your club offers, catering to individual abilities and ensuring no one feels excluded.

Thanks to your inclusive practices, my daughter has been able to continue with her friends at her own pace and challenge herself when she’s ready. In September, we were all so happy for her as she attempted to do her grading as part of the larger group grading test and successfully completed it. This was a significant achievement for her in overcoming sensory processing issues, and she was so proud of receiving her green belt.

A Journey of Personal Growth

I started World Taekwondo shortly after my youngest daughter began, primarily for fitness. At 43, I noticed my physical fitness declining and didn’t feel good about it. I never imagined I would take up a martial art; it was never on my radar.

Initially, I didn’t realize all the positive benefits that would come in addition to increased fitness. As a contemporary jeweler, my fine motor skills were strong, but the rest of my body felt somewhat disconnected. World Taekwondo training made me more aware of how I use my body while creating jewelry, leading to a more sustainable approach to my craft.

Demonstrating Life Skills

As a mother, I am demonstrating positive life skills by attempting something difficult and achieving it through practice. I love that the classes reflect the community, with men and women of all ages, creating a diverse and healthy environment. Each session is different, and I always come away with something new or improved.

Leadership and Resilience

In 2021, I took on a leadership position in the arts. This demanding role feels more achievable due to my experiences with World Taekwondo training. On a personal note, following my breast cancer diagnosis in March 2020, World Taekwondo became crucial for me. Emerging from COVID lockdown, I was recovering from surgery and was excited to get back into training and see everyone again. The Sunday morning outdoor classes were incredibly enjoyable, and I am thankful for the alternatives and extra efforts to continue training during that difficult time.

Healing Through Taekwondo

During my radiotherapy in July and August, I continued training, despite finding it difficult to concentrate and painful to perform some movements. It was easy for me to adapt to my capabilities without feeling like I was putting anyone out. Each session connected me to my current physical state, allowing me to focus on my strengths while acknowledging my struggles. My World Taekwondo training provided me with strength, even in my weakest moments, and for that, I am truly thankful.

Conclusion

For me, this is a life choice. Forever thankful. - Kath, January 20, 2023.
For more information please contact info@worldtaekwondo.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment

Igniting My Inner Fire Through World Taekwondo

Igniting My Inner Fire Through World Taekwondo Igniting My Inner Fire Through World Tae...