Oct 4, 2024

If You Don’t Try, You’ll Never Know: Embracing World Taekwondo at Any Age

If You Don’t Try, You’ll Never Know: Embracing World Taekwondo at Any Age

If You Don’t Give It a Go, You’ll Never Know!

The image is a high-resolution photograph of a middle-aged man with a fair complexion and light gray hair that is slightly wavy and combed back. He has a full beard and mustache, with a few gray hairs interspersed. The man is wearing a traditional martial arts uniform known as a gi. The gi is predominantly white with black trim around the collar, sleeves, and hem, and features black belt loops. There is a small, gold-colored patch with a black emblem on the left side of the gi, near the collar. 

In the background, there are vertical, metallic, ornate window bars, which are painted in a dark color with a glossy finish. The bars have an intricate, swirling design, adding an elegant and slightly gothic touch to the background. To the right of the man, there are several Korean characters printed in black ink, which appear to be a name or title. The overall setting suggests a martial arts studio or training facility, given the presence of the gi and the ornate window bars. The man is centered in the frame, facing the camera directly, with a neutral expression, and his posture is upright and relaxed.

I write this story, my story, to encourage people who think they can’t, to have a go.

Can’t What?

In this case, it’s to train in Taekwondo within the World Taekwondo environment under the leadership of Grand Master Wahid Halimee and Master Carol Halimee.

My Journey Begins

My journey began in July 1995 at the Greenwith Community Centre. I was about to turn 40, so age wasn’t an issue. However, I had a highly compromised right knee that had undergone two complete reconstructions and several ongoing knee arthroscopies due to playing soccer. I had no ACL and had to wear a steel-framed knee brace every time I trained, even though the knee could still give way unpredictably.

Why Did I Start?

My youngest son joined, and I would take him to training. After weeks of observing, I felt that I could meet some of the requirements. Being a very poor watcher, I joined to see where I could go. My aim was to reach Green belt so I could break some boards.

Training and Progress

It wasn’t long before I passed to Green belt and started breaking boards. By then, I had established a routine of twice-a-week training and was enjoying the challenge of working around my knee issues.

One of the many great features of World Taekwondo, thanks to Grand Master Wahid and Master Carol, is the flexibility in training requirements that allow students to progress. There are many paths to the end point.

30 Years Later

This is a photograph of Instructor Mc Veity with Instructor Margaret Rogers (standing left) and Instructor Corey (standing right). All three are wearing World Taekwondo uniforms with black belts.The photograph is taken in a casual outdoor setting, outside the westbourne park training centre, in South Australia. The overall mood of the image is one of focus and concentration.

Fast forward 30 years, I am now a 4th Dan instructor, with my right knee and hip totally replaced and no knee brace. My greatest pleasure and motivation now is helping others go as far as they can. The title, "If You Don’t Give It a Go, You’ll Never Know," says it all—not just for Taekwondo but for any range of life events.

Impact on Work Life

How did Taekwondo training help my work life? As the Education Department’s Child Protection Project and Curriculum Officer for 9 years, and then 19 years working in two complex schools dealing with challenging situations, my training helped me stay calm and focused in highly stressful situations. It also served as a regular outlet to manage my stress levels effectively.

A Supportive Community

World Taekwondo is a family of supportive people there to help you. Take advantage!!

Michael Mc Veity - October 4, 2024
For more information please contact info@worldtaekwondo.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment

Igniting My Inner Fire Through World Taekwondo

Igniting My Inner Fire Through World Taekwondo Igniting My Inner Fire Through World Tae...